Several months ago now, I was contacted by a company and invited to review their products.
Mixes From The Heartland provided to me a collection of gluten-free mixes to try. While we don't have any food allergies, I am well aware of the difficulties families face when someone has a gluten sensitivity or other food allergy. Meeting the needs of the family's diet can become complex when allergies are involved.
As a working mother, I often am making meals on the fly. I won't lie - I'm a fan of boxed meals - Hamburger Helper, Homestyle Bakes, you name 'em, we've eaten them. I need things that we can do quickly, and I'm not a good planner, so things like crock-pot meals aren't used nearly as often as they should be.
Enter Mixes From The Heartland: I received the following products to try -
- Sweet Potato Brownie Mix
- Impossible Coconut Pie Mix
- Pasta Veggie Soup Mix
- Chicken Veggie Soup Mix
- Taco Rice Skillet Mix
- Tuna Casserole Meal Mix
- Minestrone Soup Mix
- Cheeseburger Chowder Mix
A couple of things that I did notice about the meals in general - the pasta cooks up fast, and as a result, I've come across some mushier pasta than I'd like. (Hello, distracted while cooking!) Again, spice is at a minimum, so be prepared to salt and pepper to taste. Be sure to follow the directions, which are very clear, and you will have quality meals. If (as I'm a bit prone to do!) you wing it, you will not receive the optimal results. (Hehehe- use as directed!)
- No eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, oats, barley, rye, or wheat in the factory.
- No bean flours are used in any products.
- Factory is allergen controlled.
- Every raw product that enters the factory must be certified by the producer that it can pass an Eliza Test.
- This means products in our plant test 5 parts per million or less for wheat.
- The University of Nebraska does our Eliza Testing. All reports are sent to the Celiac Sprue Association (CSA)
- Mixes From The Heartland Inc. is CSA certified and we are very proud to say that all our products carry the CSA seal.